Naming the Characters

    I want everything in my film opening to have a meaning… a purpose. This means that even the names will symbolize something. Although it might seem irrelevant to some, I enjoy perfecting the little details and giving everything a reason as to why it is the way it is. Nothing will be accidental, except for the things that I want to make seem this way.

The two names I will have to find are for the main character and for her friend. Although the friend will never make an appearance, her name will appear on the cellphone screen as the call rings and it will be said throughout the conversation. I began to do some research into names with hidden meanings relating to the plot. The whole film surrounds the idea of being watched and the irony in the main character not ‘seeing’ the man in her home, since she believes it is her fear making her slowly go insane.

After searching for names meaning what I wanted, I found that many people do not give their children names meaning “being watched. ” (shocking!) With no other choice, I moved on to names with some less obvious meanings. This led me to the discovery of two different names. From Japanese origin meaning “pupil of the eye,” the name Hitomi relates to the object that does the watching. [1] However, I was still not entirely sure about this name so I kept searching. This led to the discovery of the name Kamakshi. With Hindusim, Indian, and Hindi origins, it means “eye,” the object itself. [1] But, still not a fan. The two previous names were the best out of the hundreds I read on several websites, but they were still too atypical. Then, I found it. A simple name with latin origin meaning “blind,” Cecilia. [2] The hidden meaning is absolutely perfect because she is “blind” to the man in her home and to the idea that he could be real and not just a creation of her fear.

Now that I got the ideal name for my main character, I am moving on to the friend. I am not being nearly as picky with this name. All I wanted was for nothing good to surround Cecilia, so that is what I searched up. Once again, the only names that have horrible dark meanings are extremely random and unheard of. But then I found the name ‘Pandora,” which has no literal meaning, but is associated with what I want. The name is short and easy to pronounce and understand, while relating to Pandora’s mythology. In Greek mythology, she was the first mortal woman and opened a jar given to her as a gift from Zeus. After opening it against all the orders she was given, Pandora unleashed hell on earth. [3] There is nothing more dark than hell itself, so I stuck with this choice.
[3] https://www.babygaga.com/15-baby-names-with-super-dark-meanings/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filming Day!

The Look

Group Feedback #2