Genre Decisions and Inspirations!

Today was the day my partner and I had to make the big decision: what genre do we pick for the film opening? While I researched both categories I found that the more I learned about the horror genre, the greater the inclination I had to choose it. The thriller and horror genres are very similar and tend to be classified and described as being the same. But, the research I showed in my previous blog discusses the very clear distinction and tells what makes each one unique. After reviewing this information and a long discussion with my partner, we agreed on horror!
I plan on creating an opening that not only ‘creeps out’ audiences, but is memorable and leaves them wanting more. In order to do this, I had to brainstorm which films have had an impact on the world, including myself. The film Jaws (1975) is famously known as one of the most classic horror films of all time. Fewer than one person is killed annually in the US and fewer than six worldwide from shark attacks, I mean even a mosquito bite is more likely to kill than a shark! [2] But the film’s release boosted public fear of sharks, leaving many (including myself) terrified of entering the ocean. It also left one of the most recognized and memorable sound motifs of all time with the simple combination of two notes. [3] Fifty years later, the effect the film has on audiences still remains and the sound is recognized world-wide.
Another film which inspired me to not only choose the horror genre, but to get a sense of what I would like to do for my opening, was Halloween (1978). With an extremely low budget of $825,000 , this independent film grossed over 70 million dollars. [5] The low budget created many restrains for set production and special effects, which are things I will also not have. With one long tracking shot, the film’s opening caught plenty of attention and sparked conversations. It also led to the increase in popularity of the slasher type horror films, leading to the release of several slasher films in the following years full of teenager killings and blood spilled. [7] The long camera shots and angles used interest me and might be useful in portraying the kind of opening I would like to create.

These two films hit right what I enjoy and will have available while working on this project.
Image result for Jaws film cover             halloween-poster-artwork-donald-pleasence-jamie-lee-curtis-pj-soles




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Filming Day!

The Look

Group Feedback #2